Not allowed to Date/Talk to guys at 19yo?

Hey guys,

So I’m coming here cause I don’t know who else to talk to but basically I’m 19, and in University. At Uni i bumped into a guy that I used to know when I was in primary school and anyway we got talking and stuff. He showed interest in me, I kind of liked him and since I don’t like hiding stuff from my parents I told my parents that I liked him.

They think I’m too young to have a boyfriend or whatever and I said okay, we’re just friends anyway - and I figured if something happened between me and that guy then I’d tell them and work it out from there since there’s no point in me trying to ask them for permission to date now if nothing is even happening.

Anyway me and the guy have just been talking, maybe hanging around each other in Uni but we haven’t gone out on a date or kissed or blah blah. Anyway I was snap chatting him on a Sunday and my dad asked me who I was messaging so I told my dad the truth and said the guys name. And my dad got mad. Apparently I’m not meant to be talking to him and my dad wants me to stop talking to the guy I like. I don’t want to be rebellious or disrespectful and do stuff behind my parents back but I do really like this guy and he’s only ever been nice to me so it’s not like I can just ghost him. I also can’t explain why I have to stop talking to him because that’d just make me look stupid.

Anyway I need advice, maybe on how to open my dad up to the idea of this? I’ve never had a boyfriend and generally speaking I’m a good child (I think) I don’t drink, so drugs, smoke, I rarely ever go out, my life is literally school, house work, a little side job, and that’s it. It makes me sad and a little annoyed cause it’s like they don’t trust my judgement or they think I’m going to do something inappropriate when that’s not the way I act ever.

Thanks in advanced!