What does he really mean or want?

So my ex told me that he doesn't love me anymore a couple weeks ago. Since we have ended, he has contacted me two separate times whereas I haven't reached out. If we converse it's because he messaged me or called me first. So long story short, he told me he wanted to start over and that he could "learn" to love me again if things changed. I'm honestly not interested in even being with him anymore and I desperately want to move on as I still love him and this is painful for me. But, I was interested in being friends. He says he doesn't want to be because that's all I'm ever gonna see him as now, which is true. He keeps popping in and out of my life and I'm sick of it. My question is, why does it matter if I no longer want more when he told me that he no longer thinks of me in that way. This gas basically placed me back at square one in the grieving process because I didn't just lose a boyfriend, but a best friend too and it's like he doesn't even care about myfeelings. I talked to some trusted people I know and they told me that he doesn't want me, but does want me at the same time, he just wants to keep me around. What do you guys think? And do you have any tips to move on? This was my first long term relationship and I lost my virginity to this guy, so that makes it harder I guess, although it still feels the same