Should i contact him after the break up?

So my bf and i broke up about two weeks ago. We were together for almost a year. We probably got together probably at his worst time of his life. At the time he was dealing with his mom having cancer, then she passed away a few months back, he lost his car and his job all in the time we were together. I was there for him through everything i was his rock. He always said that i was the best thing he had. But this last month things got real rocky. I found a old dm of him sliding into a girls dms on insta but that message was a few months back but we were together at the time. I confronted him about it and he said that night he was at one of his lowest because of his mom and that he felt that he needed attention . He beg for foegivesness and he knows he fucked up. He says that night was the only time this happen and thats because he was at one of his low points and wasnt thinking straight. I forgave him and try to move on but i was still hurt. But things were not the same the last few weeks. We were always fighting. We really tried to make it work. Then 2weeks ago he tells me that hes going though another family situation and that everything is to much for him rn. He said that he really needs to get his shit together for his family. And then he broke up with me. During the break up he said that i was to good for him that i was a star. The star we used to look at night the one that shined the brightest. But rn he needs to do him. We ened things on good terms. I know i probably shouldnt contact him for a while but i want to check up on him and see hows hes doing somethime in the future. When do u think is the right time to contact him again? Or should i not? Or any form of advice. Thank you.