I’m in college, boyfriend is in high school

M

This boy and I, (we’ll call him K) have been friends since I was in 8th grade, he was in 6th. We used to be neighbors and would hang out all the time!

Fast forward to my senior year of HS, we started dating a month before I graduated. I am absolutely in love with him and I know he feels the same.

I am now a freshman in college, and he’s a junior in HS. We’re about 3 hours away from each other.

K plays soccer, and doesn’t get home until 7 from practice, then works until about 9. Once he gets home we talk for maybe an hour then he normally falls asleep. I don’t blame him for this, as I know how busy and exhausted he is. BUT, this is very hard on me. I feel like I haven’t been involved in his life, vice versa.

EVERYONE told me, “don’t go to college with a boyfriend” and I had never planned on it. Then we started dating. I have known him forever and I feel like I belong with him but it’s hard to say.

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this? I come home every other weekend but I still feel like what we have going on isn’t working for me. I feel lonely and sad, I’m not entirely sure it only has to do with K, or just everything new in my life with starting college.