My experience with Cytotec

Erin • 🐶 💍 🌈👶🏻🎀🌈

I wanted to share my story, as I looked for any personal experiences when I was given the choice. Everyone’s experience is different and every body handles the medication differently, but this has been my story.

In mid-July, my husband and I found out we were expecting. This was our first time trying and we were over the moon. Mid-August we went in for our first appointment, and at 8 weeks, the baby was only measuring 6, and there wasn’t a visible heartbeat. Our doctor gave us the option to do something then, or wait another week for a follow up ultrasound to see if there was any change. We weren’t ready to make that decision and waited for the second ultrasound. Again, it was confirmed the baby was measuring 6 weeks and no heartbeat.

My doctor gave me the choice of Cytotec or a D&C. Given how early I was, the dr was pretty confident the medication would work and keep me from having the procedure.

I took the medication vaginally on Friday, August 31. The cramping and bleeding were pretty intense over the weekend, and I’m fairly sure I passed the sac on Sunday.

Fast forward two weeks and I’m still bleeding. It’s lighter, and the cramps were mostly gone, until Sunday, 9/16. The pain and bleeding were as intense as the first weekend. I was miserable and I just want this to be over.

It’s now been 25 days and I’m still bleeding and cramping. Wearing a pad for over 3 weeks has been embarrassing and causing so much discomfort.

I can’t help but wish I would have done the procedure to have this all end sooner. Some women only bleed and have side effects for 2 weeks after taking the medication, but I’m not one of them. :(

Sorry this is so long, but I wish I could have found more stories when I had to make this decision, and I hope I can help someone going through the same thing.