Should I give him a second chance?

Bl

I’m at a loss here. Idk if I should or should not give him a second chance. My mom says I should and my husband says I should do what my gut says and my gut says run for the hills!

Growing up my father had undiagnosed and therefore untreated bipolar disorder. Big or ridiculously small events triggered rage in him. One time I left my shoes by the table instead of on the shoe rack and he threw them at me. Then one time I accidentally pushed a button on the remote at 10 years old and he threw the remote at me. He was a very angry man. My birthday was always the worst. He would beat my mom, only on my birthday. I remember one year I was turning 14 and a friend and I were in my room and suddenly we heard “no! Please don’t push me down the stairs!”

Well,

A year ago he left my mom. I was 20 at the time and knew something wasn’t right so I wasn’t too terribly phased by it. Well he hasn’t talked to me more than a handful of times since then. I’ve seen him and his new girl twice. Once on my 21st birthday and once at my wedding (after she was specifically NOT invited).

Anyways, my mom sent him an email asking how he could just drop me and my sister (his step daughter) from his life. So what did he do?

Texted her. I got nothing. I didn’t get a text. I didn’t get a phone call. I didn’t get an email. I got shit. So I texted this:

He replied with:

Basically saying “it’s your decision and I can’t change it so I won’t try”.

Well that was 3 weeks (ish) ago. Saturday I got this:

I don’t want a relationship. I don’t want to give him a second chance, but my mom says “people are perishable” which makes me feel like if I don’t give him a second chance then he could die one day thinking I hate him and I could miss out on a lot. But I KNOW I won’t be missing any good. Idk. I just feel very confused.