Surgical management of missed miscarriage

Lara

I just wanted to share my experience on here for anyone needing to have a surgical management of miscarriage operation.

I was given 3 options when I found out my babies heart wasn’t beating. 1. To wait at home for nature to take course. 2. Medical management, where you take tablets to help bring on labour and you miscarry either at home or in hospital or 3. Surgical management, where you have an operation to remove all pregnancy tissue.

I opted for home management, however after 2 long weeks nothing had happened. I had no cramps or bleeding. I then had to return to hospital for another scan to find out what was going on, unfortunately it was still the same outcome and they advised medical intervention now as I had waited a while. I opted for surgical management as I thought it would be over and done with quicker.

The morning of the operation I felt very nervous but at the same time I felt like I could then grieve after it was all over. I waited 5 hours to be sent down to the anaesthetic room where I was put to sleep. Doctors warned me it was only a very quick procedure and I would be awake again within 30 minutes. My operation unfortunately took a turn for the worst. I lost a lot of blood during surgery which meant that I had to have lots of medical attention to stop the bleeding. I woke up 2 hours later, very weak, catheterised and very confused. Due to this I had extremely high heart rate and very low blood pressure. I had to stay in hospital until I had massively improved.

I wanted to share my experience just because before I had mine I was trying to find peoples experiences and couldn’t read much about them. I know mine wasn’t straight forward but honestly they usually are! And you are told about the possibilities of complications before the surgery.

Another thing, it has been 3 days since my operation and I am almost getting negative pregnancy tests already, which I think is really quick!