Mom guilt

Lindsay

My little one was born 6 weeks early, was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks with respiratory issues (infection, intubation, oxygen, antibiotics). Thank goodness she is well now and home with me!! She is now 3 weeks old.

I’m having extreme mom guilt about breastfeeding and pumping. I’m not much of a milk producer. Now if I’m being honest I hardly produce milk at all!!! I get like 5-15 mL every time I pump, and I’ve had enough to give my baby about 1-1/2 oz of a bottle of my milk every day. That’s after an entire day of pumping!!! I’ve tried it all— lactation cookies, Gatorade, relaxing, warm compressed, hand expression, envisioning waterfalls, looking at pictures/videos of my baby, pumping next to my baby, gosh literally everything. And still, no increase in supply.

SO I contacted the lactation consultant from my NICU this morning and asked her how long I should realistically be trying before I just decide that it’s too much. And she said at this point, if my supply hasn’t increased, it’s unlikely that it will.

My little one has done fine with her preemie formula that the hospital provided, and is gaining weight and is happy and healthy. But I can’t help but have mom guilt over not breastfeeding!! I just want what’s best for my baby, and always envisioned breastfeeding. I’m just having such a hard time with it!!

Can anyone give some advice and/or reassurance?