Anyone else stressed about Christmas ?

Savanah

My family is really easy to deal with and we play Christmas by ear each year. This year my sister is due December 31st meaning they do not have extra funds for gifts so instead we will all meet and bring food after the birth of her baby to spend family time to take the burden off of them.

My husbands family is not so easy. They always argue over what days we will do Christmas with what part of their family ultimately ending in 2-3 weekends plus Christmas morning at my sister in laws. It’s just not fun! I’ve conveyed my issues in the past and it just ends in a fight with my MIL. Financially my husband and I just do not want to do it. I am a college student and we have two houses.. one is our rental property but regardless it’s a lot of bills. We are expecting our daughter in March so I explained this will be the last Christmas morning at my SIL’s to her which she totally gets. SIL and I are on the same page that we need to figure out 1 specific day to do Christmas but then she mentioned everyone coming to my house Christmas morning as well. 🙄 basically I’m just stressed out because I know a lot of things will be discussed here in a couple of weeks at the first Christmas party. My husband and I want to tell them that we want to do one family dinner and gifts for kids only. We don’t enjoy buying for 15+ adults. We’ve spent thousands on <a href="https://glowing.com/glow-fertility-program">IVF</a> this year that we are recouping from and his family is just not understanding although I’ve told my MIL it’s not in our budget she threw a fit about it and I got nowhere. Does anyone else deal with this? How did you get through it? As uncomfortable as the conversation is and our mistake for folding the last few times I’m not letting her step into my finances anymore now that we have a baby to support. I don’t want to be the grinch I just want it to be reasonable and affordable for all. I’m so use to my family being so easy going! It should be just about the time spent and understanding each others limits. I’ve mentioned many gift options previously and she doesn’t want to do any of them nor is she willing to budge on how they plan Christmas. My husband just caves because he doesn’t want to fight with them but like I said, a baby changes things and we need to do what’s best for our family and that’s not spending $1000 plus on Christmas for everyone. We aren’t even giving gifts to each other this year because we have everything we want and need and just want to focus on picking things up for our daughter. Sorry this is so long I just needed to vent!