First time mom labor/induction experience.

kasey

my labor journey started that day after Thanksgiving going to a routine NST. My SO was working so my mom opted to go with me for a chance to see the baby. she has been over the moon since finding out she will be expecting a grand daughter, which i am so grateful that i even have a loving and supportive mother in my corner.

after getting a couple high blood pressure readings, maternal fetal medicine wanted to contact my obgyn to decide on whether they would admit me. at this point in my pregnancy i was 37 weeks and already discussing an induction plan due to being diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

friday afternoon i was admitted to the hospital and started on an oral medication every 6 hours that would help soften my cervix. i took that medication up until saturday night with no avail. Saturday around 8pm, i was given another medication inserted in my vagina. At this point ive had no sleep, exhausted due to being hooked up to all these monitors and just ready to pass out.

Saturday at 10pm i went to use the bathroom, my SO was passed out on the hospital couch and it felt like a water balloon broke inside me. I was terrified but relieved that the process was happening! I managed to get some sleep after my water broke and the doctor woke me up around 5am so that they could move me to labor and delivery. At around 6am i got the epidural and was 4cms at 730am. The nurses gave me a yoga ball called a peanut to put between my legs to help with getting dilated and by this time I was so out of it with exhaustion and the pain meds.

At 8am, it felt like i had to take a poop, so much pressure down there. The nurses checked me and realized that her head was peeking through and it was time to push! I started pushing at 815am and she was born at 830am. I could not stop crying after I delivered her. I was so relived and happy that my beautiful little girl was safely in this world. She was born 11/25/18 at 830am and was 6lbs 7 ounces.

The hospital stay after that was so hectic from trying to breast feed to attempting to sooth her to sleep. You get alot of different advice from various nurses and family members on how to take care of your baby and it was overwhelming. I found myself after everyone had left and my SO ran home to shower and change crying along with my daughter because i was terrified. I was terrified I would somehow fail her as a mom or just not live up to my own expectations.

Fast forward to a month later and still attempting to navigate this mom life to the best of my ability. After giving birth, I have never felt sexier in my life. I never realized that being a mother could provide me with a new level of confidence! I share my story because its comforting reading other peoples journeys especially being a first time mother.