PCOS insight learned today

Al

I learned something very interesting at the doc today.

I was diagnosed with PCOS this past summer and have tried variations of metformin, Clomid, famera, etc and didn’t respond to Clomid and had a large cyst that I had to wait to clear (luckily went away on its own).

One thing I did was started a strict PCOS diet- no sugar, dairy, soy, gluten, processed. I did lose 10 lbs (which I was not told to lose weight, I have about 26 BMI) but of course that strict diet was miserable when I’m used to eating everything.

End of November/December I started famera again after cyst cleared. Doc told me to do it in ‘step up protocol’ where you take 1 pill day 1, 2 day 2 and so on from CD 3-7. Low and behold I went for CD 10 follicle scan and 2 nice 18 and 19mm mature follicles were there. I ovulated and had a high progesterone result blood test and got my period on my own. First time in 2 years. We had finally figured out the recipe (famera step up + metformin). During this holiday time, I was way more lax on the diet. I wasn’t so hard on myself and ate reasonably healthy but what I’ve always enjoyed.

Started a new cycle last week and did famera step up again as I did last month. Went in today for follicle scan on CD 12 and only a measly 13mm follicle was there. Doc said nothing would probably happen this month. She wants to up metformin to 1000mg and add a very low dose of prednisone (ugh, yeah, here comes the weight gain probably) and said she thinks that will help whenever I start the next round of famera (likely after Provera round).

I was explaining how I did everything the same as ast time when my body responded. I said ‘I have been back on the strict pcos diet over the last 2 ish weeks.’ And she looked at me confused.

She never actually told me about that diet. I found it immersed in google and Glow and it seemed to make sense.

She looked at me today and said ‘you know why I bet you didn’t respond... you can’t just eliminate things you are used to eating from your diet. If you’re used to dairy, gluten, soy, etc and you just take them away, it sets off your hormones and the first thing to respond by shutting down is your reproductive system.’

I was stunned. All the forums I’ve read and people’s blogs I’ve followed.. and then it hit me.. the month everything worked was when I wasn’t on this extreme diet. She was right.

Although it was a bummer that this cycle is probably not going to lead to any chance, you can bet tonight for dinner I’ll be having Mac and cheese, maybe with some soy sauce on top, and a big glass of 2% milk (tossing it that coconut stuff I’ve been forcing myself to drink) and night cap it off with a scoop of ice cream and a PROCESSED Cheeto.

Some might say I’m wrong or it’s coincidence; but I encourage everyone with PCOS doing a diet to talk with your doctor and make sure they recommend it. And maybe some modification is good but cutting anything out completely (when it doesn’t effect you negatively) is dangerous. She said the best diet is well balanced, lower (not no) carb and to be mindful of sugar. Also those on famera, ask about the step up protocol if it isn’t working for you.

Baby dust to all and thanks for taking the time to read my story. We can and will beat PCOS to become mamas!

Now time to head on home for my fantastic rule breaking dinner.