am I wrong?

Okay so a little backstory here.. I have a boyfriend, whom I love very much, we’ve been together nearly 3 years now. He’s a little overprotective sometimes and he doesn’t trust me because of our past. No I haven’t cheated, I’ve broken up with him before because of stresses and wanting to better myself which he doesn’t understand. Anyways, my ex boyfriend, let’s call him “Sam”, we was together for about 2 years (I’m in high school right now, so keep in mind, 2 years seems like a long time), we used to do everything together, he was my first real love and first kiss. We didn’t do anything besides kissing since I was in middle school and we both didn’t want sex that young. We did always gonna say we was gonna be each other’s firsts, even though that never happened. Well, him and I broke up a lot, argued a lot & hurt each other. But.. before you declare him as a bad guy, he’s really not.. he’s always had a bad relationship with his mom, so he used to talk to my mom (him & I was basically bestfriends), he doesn’t have many if any friends that actually care about him, he hasn’t had a steady relationship since me, and this may seem really far fetched but he reminds my mom and I both of this guy that killed him self a few months ago.. idk if “sam” has those tendencies or not, but I always want to check on him and make sure he’s good. Which I do that every few months. That’s the point of this post. My boyfriend would kill me if he ever found out that I talk to my ex occasionally. I don’t want a relationship with “Sam”, I’m happy with what I have. I just want to make sure he’s okay and understands that he has someone to talk to. My boyfriend is also childish and doesn’t want me having male friends. He’s very jealous anytime a guy is in a conversation. I just don’t know whether to tell him that I check on my ex or just keep it to myself. Opinions? Don’t be afraid to be harsh lol. I know I’m young & dumb.