I am feeling so conflicted. Please help

Around 4 months ago my ex boyfriend and I broke up. We had grown apart, and overall it just wasn’t working out. Immediately after, he started acting very mean to me, and at times passive aggressive with not only me but a close guy friend too. I decided to cut him off, because he was treating me poorly, and overall not a fun person to be around. He continued to message me and explain himself and basically make the point that he didntwant to lose “one of the best friends hed ever had”. I just said I wasn’t interested in continuing a friendship as he was a different person that I didn’t like.

Last month, he got back together with an ex girlfriend, but it lasted around 3 weeks and they’re now broken up again. I still wasn’t talking to him at that point, until just recently on my birthday he messaged me and a conversation kinda just flowed. We caught up with eachother about stuff in our lives, etc. and now we’ve agreed to be friends again. I’m seeing he’s the same person I fell in love with, and I can’t help but being drawn to him all over again. I wish he would ask to get back together again, but I feel this could be one sided.

Important details:

-he talks to me day and night & it flows naturally

-he always checks up on how I’m feeling/doing, says he appreciates me etc

-tries to make me happy (for example I made a dumb joke about going somewhere and he replied “I’d take you anywhere you want” )

-he’s being more open about his feelings saying stuff like “I feel like I enjoy talking to you more than you do to me”

-a mutual friend asked if he loved his then gf (ex that dated him again for 3weeks)

And he didn’t give an answer, avoiding it.

-still wants to maintain a close friendship

What am I supposed to do??? Please help my heart is hurting