I knew too much

Nicole • Mother, wife, surgical assistant. I have the unpopular opinion.

I had my baby girl nearly two weeks ago, on the 15th, at the hospital where I work as a surgical assistant.

I was induced because of suspected preeclampsia (my swelling has finally gone down!!) and I was in labor for about a day before I started pushing. Two hours later, my doctor says he doesn't think I'm going to have the baby naturally because her head is having a difficult time fitting through the opening of my pelvis.

Enter me, knowing too much. The labor and delivery department is foreign to me, but once we start talking surgery, that's my jam...only not on me. I zoned wayyyy out. Went somewhere else mentally. I drunkenly asked the anesthesiologist if he'd given me something but he assured me he hadn't; they can't give anything until the baby is out, but it was like my mind was numb.

So I hear them start and I'm frozen, feeling high even though logically I know I'm not (weirdest thing ever). My husband (who works as a surgical tech in this same hospital, with this same surgeon and anesthesiologist) is trying to record but keeps shaking because he's excited.

Then I hear the surgeon ask for the vacuum. Then I hear him ask for it more frantically. I know this means they're having trouble getting my baby girl out, but I'm helpless. I'm holding my breath and focusing on a point on the ceiling.

Then my doctor holds her over to drape for me to see her and she's perfect! Everything is ok in my world again!

She'll be two weeks old on Friday and she's the highlight of our lives. I'm still wondering how we made such a perfect person.