Postponed the wedding

So me and my fiance have been together for 7 years (engaged for 2). We started planning our wedding and we wanted it to be extremely small like just us and the officiant. As soon as we told someone we wanted their help to take pictures for us, news spread and then we felt obligated to invite family. It was still going to be less then 20 people so we just agreed and continued planning. I drove myself crazy for 2 months planning this in my grandparents backyard. I was getting so excited but I could definitely see the stress affecting me and my fiance. I just kept telling myself "soon enough the stress will be over".

Then 3 days before the wedding my fiance told me he didn't want to get married "right now" saying he wanted to work on us and us being happy again. I'm so hurt but I understand since this isn't what we wanted it to be. All of the guests are understanding because they're family afterall, they just want us to be happy. I'm worried about how I can tell my coworkers and friends without feeling embarrassed or ashamed because of how much they built on my excitement.

Note: Two days before my fiance told me this, my work threw me a surprise bridal shower and gave me some gift cards (some of which were spent on decorations before we knew we had to postpone) I would pay them back but everyone pitched in for them. Not one person, so I don't know who to give what to.