Finally got insurance figured out! (Long)

Robin • 👰🏻 🤵🏼2012 👦🏼 2013 👧🏻 2016 🍼11/19

So, my husband’s job does not offer insurance. As annoying as this is, I didn’t figure it would be a problem. I planned on applying for Medicaid. I’m a SAHM and we live in Mississippi, where the income cap for a pregnant woman in a family of four is $4.2k per month.

I have applied twice and gotten declined twice! We definitely do not make $4k a month so I was beyond frustrated and feeling like my case worker was just out to screw me. Her reasoning was that “our income was too high” for me to receive the state insurance benefit.

I called the Office of Eligibility today, to basically (gently) say, WTF is this woman’s deal. The lady from the eligibility office was very helpful and did her best to find me some answers.

The. Case. Worker. Wasn’t.

Reading. My. Application.

She was filing me as a parent/ caregiver (for which the monthly income cap is like $569) rather than as a pregnant woman (for which the income cap is about 7.5 times that amount).

I have now made a call to the local Medicaid office to amend my application, so, here’s to hoping that they get this fixed quickly. I’m 9 weeks now and I’d really like to get an appointment made to check on this baby! I’m excited now and glad we got this figured out.