Depression and Sex Drive

Alyssa

Hey everyone! So to give you a little back story, my boyfriend of 3 years and I have an amazing relationship. We love each other very much, are very attracted to each other and have always had an incredible sex life. We would usually have sex at least once (if not more) every time we’re together. Over the past few months, I’ve noticed my boyfriends sex drive decline. He has hit a depressive episode and has absolutely no interest in sex at all at this point. He says he doesn’t get horny at all. He doesn’t masturbate, he doesn’t want to masturbate, he’s not aroused by anyone or anything. I suffer from Chronic depression, but have never found this to affect my sex drive. We both always had extremely high sex drives and have always been on the same page when it comes to sex. Now it seems im always the one that wants sex and he never does. I’m trying to back off and give him he space and support he needs, as I know he is not acting like himself and he wishes he didn’t feel this way as well. I’m just not sure what else I can do. He is going to see a psychiatrist soon and hopefully get on an anti-depressant. Im hoping they will discuss libido before he is prescribed a medication that ends up lowering his sex drive even more (if that’s possible) this has taken such a toll on my self esteem lately. I just feel so unsexy and unwanted. He has reassured me numerous times that he is so attracted to me, but my anxiety is not letting me fully believe it. Should I keep trying to get him into sex again? Or should I just try to be patient and wait it out till he’s feeling back to normal again? I’ve tried talking to him about it, but he just says “I don’t know” this has been so hard on us. I love him so much and I do not want to pressure him at all, or make him feel like I am using him for sex. That is absolutely not the case. Our physical connection is so amazing though, and I am so afraid that we’ll lose that somehow. Or that we will go months and months without sex and it will damage us. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! 😫