Disabled Vet at a loss with losing

Hi there! I'm starting my journey of attempting to lose weight, but it seems so daunting. I injured both my shoulders and my left knee and ankle when I was 18 and thanks to the wonders of military medicine, they healed wrong during the first year medical was insisting that I wasn't injured. This was 14 years and 125 lbs ago, my weight has nearly doubled in that time.

Anyway, being currently in school full time I was wondering if anyone has any low impact exercises I could do at home? Maybe some quick and easy ways to make healthier meals? We do depend way too heavily on frozen meals, and I don't have easy access to a pool for water exercises.

I'm 5'10" and 278lbs, the hubby is 6'2" and 295lbs. His sciatic nerve makes common exercises difficult as well. Plus him being his mother's caregiver while she's going through chemo makes it to where neither of us have the time to make nutritious healthy meals. We've started walking 2.5 miles a couple evenings a week, but by the end of it my knee is so mad at me that I feel like I need my cane, but using the cane on the walks would somewhat defeat the purpose in my mind.

I apologize for rambling, I'm just at a loss on how to turn this around for us both. We've been trying to conceive for two years now, and my gyn pointed out my weight may be a factor. I hope I painted enough of a picture.

Thank you for your time!