I’m so confused

Have you ever loved someone so much you would literally do anything be anything they needed?. the man I love and still love with all my heart keeps playing games with my heart... like things can be going so good and then all of sudden he doesn’t want to be with me?. Like today we were driving and he was playing around goofing and he’s like you need me and I was like of course! And I was like do you need me? And he told me no? I don’t need anyone at first I thought he was joking... then he started getting quiet on me and I asked him if he was serious and he’s like yeah I told you I don’t want to be with you a while back ( which is true ) but we worked it out and he told me he did want to be with me so I thought we were okay ... then we got home and of course I’m heart broken and crying he asked me why I was crying and I told him because I love you and you just broke my heart.... he tries and hug me and kiss me and tells me he loves me he’s still calling me baby???? Like wtf... we have been together for 4 years... I don’t understand why he’s playing these games with me.. someone help me understand I’m so heart broken and confused.