Hyphenated last names

Maddi

Hey lovelies,

I’m 15 weeks pregnant and my baby’s father (aka my ex boyfriend) and I are no longer together. mind you, this break up had nothing to do with the baby.

While we were together, I was happy for the baby to have his last name. However, now we’re no longer together, my mum and other family members have suggested using my name or hyphenating our names.

At first I didn’t really want this, but as the pregnancy continues and our co-parenting relationship is becoming more strained, I would like to have my name incorporated.

My issue is the baby’s middle name (whether it’s a boy or girl) will have 2 middles names. We want to have both of our mum’s or dad’s names as the middle names depending if the baby is a boy or girl. This is really sentimental to me, because my brother and I have our grandparents names and our middle names and I want to carry that on to my child and my baby’s father agreed. I know it’s a bit much to have 2 middle names AND a hyphenated last name, so my question is, is it okay if the baby just has my last name? Or should our baby have 5 names?

I know the baby’s father will not be happy but my mum only wants the baby to have my last name and not his at all. My mum and I have different last names and that hasn’t always been easy on her and we’ve been in situations where we’ve had to prove we’re related, hence why she feels this way

I’m just trying to seek advice on what I should do in this situation because I’m trying to keep everyone happy and that’s not really working out

Please keep in mind, I’m not 100% sure the baby’s father will stick around long term, and I’m quite worried (for the child’s sake) that he won’t.