Skinny Shamed

Caridad • 19/ Aries / MDC Class of '21 /

One of my insecurities is my body . During my whole life, I’ve always been skinny. In my opinion, I feel like some forget that being skinny shamed is as worse as being fat shamed. People are soo quick and comfortable to say “why are you so skinny?”, “Do you even eat?”, “you need eat more” , “you look like a stick”, And etc. Believe it or not, those comments are very rude and offensive. I hear little things like this everyday in my life and I’m just tired of hearing it. At my job the other day (I work at retail) , there was a woman buying a type of blender that I’ve never seen before and I told her that and she rudely commented “well that explains why you are so skinny, you never touched a blender”. At that moment I had to take a deep breathe because at that second , I would of lost it and remembered that I’m the one that needs the job. I Know and Iam CONSCIOUS that I am skinny . I’ve been trying to gain weight. I went through a eating disorder not so long ago. I used to be underweight (90 lbs) and now I’m currently (109 lbs). I’m slowly trying to force myself to eat more (it’s harder than you think) , I’m trying to gain muscle mass , and I’m taking all the protein/high calories drink . My point is that skinny shaming isn’t okay and we already have our own issues/insecurities with our own bodies to be CONSTANTLY reminded about our flaws.