So this means I'm being too controlling? I 🤔

So

I met this couple at a restaurant one time who had 4 kids all under the age of like 6/7. Instead of ordering from the kids menu, all the kids ordered white rice, veggies, and either filet mignon or chicken. I was surprised at how mature their tastes were and the couple told me they love that food because they've never fed them sugary foods, only natural healthy stuff. Because of that, whenever they eat sweet stuff now they don't like it because it's just way too sweet for them.

I loved that and told my boyfriend that's how I want to raise my hypothetical future kids. Ideally, I won't feed them anymore sugar than is required for a growing kid (which to my understanding is extremely low, if at all).

Once they get older, I'll let them make the choice themselves but if they've grown up not having it, hopefully they wouldn't want it anyways because it'd be too sweet for them. Sugar is extremely addicting so if I can avoid it with them, why not? I just want to give them healthy habits from the get go to make it easier for them to maintain a healthy lifestyle later on.

My boyfriend said that's being too controlling but I don't get how. They're my kids and I'm determing their diet, just like any other parent does. How is that controlling?