The art of saying “no”

X

A few weeks ago, someone told me “you teach people how to treat you.” in any relationship if someone disrespects you, you need to address it in a calm way and make it clear that that’s not okay. In a healthy relationship, it was probably unintentional, but they will correct their behavior and treat you better. However, in a unhealthy relationship is where someone is unable or unwilling to change. They don’t care that they’ve disrespected you and will continue to do it whenever they want. So if you stay when they continue to disrespect you, you are teaching them that it’s fine - they can disrespect you and they will still get what they want. So if it’s like that, and you’ve tried correcting it and nothing changes, you need to leave. You’re enforcing that line of respect for yourself, and leaving an unhealthy relationship.

GIRLS. This completely changed how I handle relationships. My soon to be marriage, friendships, even work relationships. This mentality has helped my fiancé and I through stressful times, helped me cut out friendships which weren’t healthy, and even brought on me leaving my job. I thought that it would be hard, but a respectful “no” or a calm explanation of something you did or didn’t appreciate does wonders in improving healthy relationships and getting you out of bad ones. Just thought I’d share this!