Cheating

I have been in a relationship for about 2 and half years. Around this time last year we were going through a tough time and fighting alot. My boyfriend was transferred to a new and better position at work a few months prior but l wasn't causing any of our fights (just leads into the story). One night I went to a work event and then went out with a female co-worker I never go out or do of anything without him, I feel like I wasn't aloud. I informed my boyfriend prior and he got irate and should know better to just come home. It made things worse. He decided to get more mad turn off his phone and met up with a female co-worker .(he is a school resource officer and she is a teacher) who said "she was having a party" but it was just them he ended up having sex with her and sleeping over. He came home the next morning told me this story with more details and apologize and begged me to stay. He would do everything it takes to make this work. Well it's been about a year later, our relationship is better and I still love him but I can't find a way to trust him or deal with that event. I'm wondering if there's something he or I need to do to make this work or breakup. I just don't know if I'll ever get over it.