Kidney infection with no antibiotics?

I woke up this morning with excruciating pain radiating from my right kidney. It slowly subsided and I was left with a dull ache from the same area, with the pain slowly increasing again throughout the day.

Passing water and stools normally with no pain. Went to the doctors this afternoon and I was told it was ‘probably a kidney infection but nothing too serious so just drink plenty of water to flush it out.’

Now I’ve never heard of anyone with a kidney infection not being treated with antibiotics. I’m really concerned that I’ve been left with no treatment. The pain is now in both my kidneys, and whilst not as severe as this morning, it’s still very uncomfortable.

I want to know if any of you guys have gotten rid of a kidney infection without antibiotics, or did you need them? I’m planning on going back in tomorrow morning with a urine sample because I’m not satisfied with being turned away like that, and I’m also worried that I might get very ill very quickly. I’ve never had a kidney infection before so I don’t know how long these things last before getting real nasty.