Demoted During Mat Leave?

Sh

Hi Glow Fam!

I need advice. Will be brief.

My story:

I had an amazing and wonderful mat leave earlier this year. 4 months, fully paid.

A week before I returned, my manager told me there was a reorg. Basically everyone else got promoted or a raise. I, however, maintained my title and pay, but was also inheriting a new manager that me and my team would report to.

For context, when I left I was managing 3 sales people. I also never received a negative review or was told my performance was deficient. When I looked up the job description for the new role, I was floored bc it matched exactly what I do at the company.

Last week our company received an email that the new person was starting this week. Their title is Head of East Coast and my title (unchanged) is Director of Northeast.

Essentially, without prior warning, I was shifted from a manager to an individual contributor upon returning from mat leave. Read as: demoted.

Obviously my job hunt is in full force now, but I want to know if there are any legal ramifications? Do I have any rights here or am I just SOL?

Please help.