Egg retrieval did not go well today :(

Penguin

I had my egg retrieval and it did not go well today. On Thursdays scan I had 11 follicles over 15mm and lots of smaller follicles. My antral follicle count was 45 as I have pcos and extremely high amh.

Unfortunately they only retrieved 5 and I am devastated. I cried for about half an hour after they gave out the number in the operating room. I thought I heard wrong at first. I don't understand how this happened based on the last ultrasound and my antral follicle count and age (I'm 31). I think the protocol that they put me on was not ideal (75iu of puregon and ganirelix on day 7). I triggered with ovidrel Thursday night.

I was also under sedation and not anesthesia and I don't think they gave me enough as I was crying from pain by the time they started the extraction. I think I have a fairly high pain tolerance as well.

I know 5 may be a good number for some and I don't mean to be insensitive but I am shocked with this given my circumstance. I'm already mentally gearing up to do another round but probably at another clinic because I feel like the protocols are not customized enough to everyone here. I'm trying to be positive but I am ready to just spend the rest of the day in bed.