Please Help

I am so so so confused. When my boyfriend and I first met he was head over heals for me. He was the sweetest boy I could’ve ever asked for. He told me he’s had a crush on me for 4 years. He talked about a future with me. We did everything together. I sat in the bathroom while he showered because he wanted to be with me every second he would drive me to work because he wanted to be with me as much as he could. For a long time it stayed that way. Then life began to get hard we’re both 19 and are figuring life out. He got a new job and his brother went to jail and then his aunt died of cancer. He took things really hard and started pushing people out. He told me he didn’t want to feel anything. He doesn’t want feelings. He went from saying i love you to love you. He stopped wanting to hangout. He stopped showing affection and claiming he’s not an affectionate person. He told me life was hard and he didn’t want to drag me through it. He’s throwing himself into his job to try and keep his mind off of everything. We stayed together and then the other day he told me he thinks we should be done. We talked and he asked me what the difference between us taking a break for a month or just breaking up would be to me. I said a break would be us not talking to other people and a break up would. He automatically was like then let’s take a break. In a month we agreed to talk and figure out if we’re going to get back together. If he doesn’t want to be with me then why are we on a break and not just done. We talked and I told him if we were meant to workout then we would whether it’s a year from now or a month from now or years from now and he was like worst case scenario and I interrupted him and said what us not working out? And he looked at me and he goes no us marrying other people somehow and then realizing oh shit that him and I are actually meant to be together. If his worst case scenario we end up together why is he doing this. If he doesn’t want to talk to other girls or be with them then why is this happening. I am so confused. What do i do this whole month to keep myself from texting him.