In need of advice

Ok so there’s this guy in one of my classes and we never talk outside of class until he asked for my Snapchat and we’re friends so I was like ok here. My friends thought at first he liked me, and now I’m starting n to think that too but I dont like him back in that way. He’s also been a bit clingy I guess? Its been less than a week and He messages me a little too often for me. Like it’s every one or 2 hours. He pretty much just asks me questions about myself the entire time or what I’m doing and he compliments me often too. I don’t want to pull and he’s honestly getting reallyyyyy annoying and I really hate saying things that might hurt anyone so does anyone have any advice on how to nicely ask someone to stop talking to you so much? I know it might sound a little dumb or idk mean? Idk I’m just annoyed

Btw I have tried ignoring messages but then I see him the next day in class and he asks me like did i get his text and I also really rude and I feel bad when I leave ppl on read too and that little damn notification thing just annoys me :P