Changing my last name

Is

So when my husband and I first got married I kept my maiden last name because our marriage was supposed to be a secret at the time. Our marriage certificate has my maiden last name on it. Now it’s 4 years later we have a son and of course he has his fathers last name so now I feel left out😂. Also it has been such a pain to have a different last name then my son because my son is a mixed I’m Mexican and my husband is white but my baby looks completely white so I’m constantly having to prove I’m his mother. It’s gotten to the point that when we need to do anything medically or with daycare I have to either bring his birth certificate so they can see my name is on it or my husband has to come along with us.

I want to finally change my last name so it not such a pain but also to complete our little family. I know it’s going to be a long process because I have to file a petition to the court and all that Jazz. Has anyone gone through this process before?

Also we got married in California and now live in Texas I’m confused if I would have to file in California or not. I tried to look things up on the internet but I couldn’t find anything on that.