Doula Dilemma?

Le

I live in NYC. So initially before all this Covid mess, my ob was very up front with me, that her sisters 50th birthday was the week before my due date (June18th) and she might be out of the country. This led me to secure a doula, because I didn’t want to be with an unknown doctor for my delivery.

I agreed to pay $2000 for 2 three hour birthing classes (I have made $1000 worth of payments so far) Full support for labor (before hospital and in hospital)

And 2 postpartum (lactation etc) classes at home

Now my first class was canceled back in March, at the start of covid (but before stay in place)

It’s important to me to meet with her in person before labor because this is my first and it’s a super intimate event.

We spoke yesterday via FaceTime, doulas have been approved as essential personnel at hospitals but it seems they’ve agreed as a group to not go into hospitals because of Lack of PPE, exposure etc. which I understand.

She agreed to come to our house for one prebirth class and for the labor prep before heading to the hospital. But Not once I head to the hospital, on the upside, my ob assured me at my last appointment that she would be there the whole time, because she’s not going anywhere now. She offered me a discount of $200, and told me that my $1000 is non-refundable.

I don’t know how I feel about the arrangement, I feel like the bulk of the purpose was having an advocate at the hospital and now I can’t have that. What would you do?