Stopping this reaction in dog

I know it’s normal for dogs to want to protect their family, but I don’t feel like my moms dog is reacting normally. She’s over a year old, and whenever we have someone over, she barks and growls at them the entire time. I e tried having them give her treats, a few of them are terrified of her. Which I know showing fear doesn’t help the situation but I can’t exactly tell these people how not to feel.

Other dogs and people walking are a big problem. We don’t have a fenced in yard and none of the people down our street do. Other people have dogs and theirs seem to be able to stay in the yard and not bark aggressively at other people or dogs. Anyways, last night my mom and I were sitting on the back porch while we let the dog out and she normally stays out back with us. Well she took of running to the front and as soon as I was gonna call her back, I heard barking. There was a man and woman walking with their giant dog without a leash on our street. She came running back about 5 seconds later and we put her inside but like wtf I’m honestly terrified she’s going to do something to someone or their dog. I don’t want her to be the terror of our street.