Should police arrest those who are sick and willingly go into public?

Me

Brooks County, Texas to arrest those who test positive for COVID-19 and don’t quarantine

BROOKS COUNTY, Texas (Gray News) - To stop the spread of the coronavirus, officials in a South Texas county are promoting face masks, social distancing and frequent handwashing, but they also warn those who have tested positive for the virus and don’t self-isolate may be arrested.

Brooks County Attorney David Garcia warned in a July 4 post on Facebook that residents who have tested positive for COVID-19 should stay home except to receive medical care. He said that failure to do so may result in an arrest.

Garcia cited Texas Penal Code 22.05 (a) in his post, which states “a person commits an offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury.”

Do you think this is warranted? I personally find it fairly alarming. I understand fining those who refuse to adhere to mandates, but arresting them, booking them, and taking them to jail not only endangers their life (they’re already sick!), it also endangers everyone’s lives that they come into contact with during the very up close and personal process of getting them through the jail system. It’s also such a waste of resources, not to mention with the massive police brutality issues the US has, I would fear many people (especially black people) would get severely injured or even killed in the process.

Vote below to see results!