Illegal gas line?

My landlord hooked up an illegal gas line for almost a year I didn’t really think there was a problem since he raised our rent and said he would cover the gas that way but I never knew it was illegal. Fast forward to March someone called the city and they came to shut off the gas as soon as they found it was illegally installed that’s what the super told us and was trying to make it seem like it was us but we didn’t even know it was illegal. He never fixed the problem and left me without gas for a whole month and this was during the pandemic and then schools started closing! He never fixed it and because during that time we were without money and desperate because we kept bothering him to fix it he installed it illegally again! He was out of the country when this was happening so he send the super of the building to do it.

He’s back now and promised to fix it, it’s been 2 months!! And his excuse is that he’s waiting for the city to come and do the inspection but due to the virus they’re taking longer than expected.

Every time I pass by the stove I smell gas, I’ve been having nightmares lately about trying to get my family out of the burning apartment but I’m also scared we might get kicked out since he hasn’t given us a lease since we moved in 8 years ago. I can’t be living in the streets with 4 kids I don’t know what to do. My husband thinks I’m exaggerating and nothing is going to happen but this is really stressing me out that I just feel like grabbing my kids, my stuff and stay at my parents house for now.

I’m in NYC and rent is very expensive for me to move out I’m just scared he can throw us out.. does anyone know how long does it take for the city to come and inspect?