I feel like a murderer...

Today Was supposed to be a good day, but it was not. It has turned out to be an incredibly sad and hard day. I just need some reassurance and positive vibes maybe?

We had a stray cat in our neighborhood that was such a sweet boy. He’s stuck around our house, begging at my back door for more food day and night for the past couple of weeks. Any chance he would get, he would try and run inside my house but unfortunately I have two other cats so I didn’t want to risk a fight or anything.

So today I made the leap and decided that he would become apart of our “furever” family. Before having him come inside, I took him to the vet for a checkup, vaccinations and blood test to make sure that he wouldn’t be spreading anything to my indoor cats. Unfortunately his blood test showed that he was positive for FIV (feline AIDS) which is highly contagious for other cats.

I couldn’t bring him into my home after all nor did the doctor know of any rescues that would take in a FIV+ stray cat. The next option was to euthanize him so that he wouldn’t spread the disease to other cats. I chose this option and now I feel so incredibly guilty. He was such a happy boy and now I’ll never get to see him again. My heart is broken and can’t help but feel like I ruined his life.

This is an unimaginable pain.