Unequal treatment of grandkids

Because our baby was due close to Christmas, and everything was chaotic and busy, we asked to celebrate Christmas with grandparents a couple months late. This pair of grandparents usually wants to do it a month late anyway, so they were happy to do it a bit later than usual.

Here’s the thing. They got a bunch of stuff for our 3.5 year old. And nothing for our 2 month old. (And it’s not because they bought it months ago, because I happen to know they bought it all last week.)

...I don’t know how to feel. On one hand, the baby doesn’t know. She doesn’t care. She doesn’t have any real interest in stuff yet. And I generally don’t want a bunch of extra objects in the house, since we already have too much stuff and aren’t very good at downsizing. So fewer incoming objects isn’t all bad.

But I also feel kind of hurt for my baby. I know she doesn’t know or care. Maybe I’m just afraid that it’s a bad sign for future treatment? It just seems so weird. And I know they have three years of loving my son, and don’t really know my daughter yet. But on the other hand, they seemed really into my son from birth (and did buy presents for him at that age).

You’d think maybe they just didn’t buy her anything because they’d already got her (and not him) things before she came... But nope. Because they made sure to buy him things then. His were toys and activity books, hers was an outfit and some diapers.

Gift giving is this grandma’s love language, and she has also bought several other presents for my son in between then and now.

I feel crazy, like I’m being overly picky and superficial. I probably shouldn’t worry until my daughter is old enough to notice?

But then I just feel protective of her, and it makes me worried for the future. Especially since she’s already at some risk of being overlooked because her birthday is Christmas <a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glow.android.eve">Eve</a> so some people might be inclined to blur them together instead of celebrating her separately. I don’t know.

What do you guys think? Is it reasonable to feel hurt, or am I worrying over nothing?