Partner speaks in Spanish when talking to his ex

Nicole

So my partner is Hispanic and he is bilingual. That is not a problem for me and I have been trying to learn Spanish. However we have had a constant issue with his ex wife for the majority of our relationship due to the fact that he did not separate himself from her completely when they first split and is trying to do it now. She has an issue with respecting boundaries put in place so we really don’t have a “relationship”. We can have had mature conversations about the kids and that’s it.

The problem is that when he speaks to her on the phone he always speaks in Spanish around me. They both are fluent in English and Spanish so today I made it known to him how that is an issue for me and I asked him to speak in English being as though that’s a language we all know and understand because I feel it’s a bit disrespectful. He made a bug issue about it and said no he would just text her instead and made a comment about he could just walk outside to have the conversation with her instead so he could speak in Spanish. He is in the process of rebuilding my trust due to being sneaky and not upfront and honest about things with her in the past and at this point I’m pissed that me asking him to speak in English turned into a big argument. It makes me feel like he has something to hide or like he tends to have conversations with her still that he knows I wouldn’t be okay with.

Has anyone gone through this?