Parents, how long did it take you to open up to a love one and allow them to meet your children?

D

I have been with my boyfriend for almost a year and I have never met his son. He rarely talks about him around me. I spend days at his home and I pack up and go when his son’s coming. When I return, all of my things are tucked away out of sight, as if I was never there.

His son will be six in a few days and I wasn’t even invited to the party (which I understand because I’ve never even met him lol). I’ve been pretty quiet with matters regarding his son, I rarely mention the child because I feel like those are waters I can’t touch. But I’m madly in love with my boyfriend (i’ve never said it, and neither has he), and i hate to not know anything about his family. he’s met my sister and nephew, but makes me wait in the car when we go to his mom’s house for anything.

I guess my concern with his son and the lack of an “i love you” is that I’m not someone that he wants to be with in the long run and simply doesn’t want to confuse the child.

Is a year enough time?