Has anyone ever had a “break” in their relationship and it help?

I used to think “breaks are stupid. They just prolong a break up” but now I’m contemplating doing it for my own relationship and I am embarrassed.

Background; I’m 19 years old and 8 months pregnant. I have been dating my boyfriend for 3 1/2 years and he has bipolar, PTSD, and ADHD. The past couple weeks, I notice that the baby’s due date getting closer is a HUGE trigger for his mental health.

So on top of the regular stress of parenthood, it brings up feelings, fears, and insecurities that stem from his childhood traumas. To the point he gets into these moods where I don’t recognize him. (Mostly he’ll get mad about something minor) Then not even hours later, he does a total 180 and breaks down having an anxiety attack and cries. Starts apologizing, telling me how scared he is, how he doesn’t want to lose me, how much he wants to be with me to raise our son, how he wishes he was “normal”, begs for reassurance that our relationship is okay. And I notice a lot of things come off as an “attack” in his mind. Maybe like a projection thing? Idk. But he won’t really open up to me so I feel like I can’t even TRY to understand.

I have mentioned couple’s therapy to him and he agrees to it. But he has been having issues reaching his therapist office even just for his own appointments. (They are all virtual so they are supposed to call him but no one calls him - he’s rescheduled twice)

I really don’t know how to handle this. I love him and I want to be with him. But it’s draining