Is it time to let go?

I miss him. I want him. I need him. I love him. Does he still feel the same?

Lately things have been really rough. Hes cold, distant, he can get mean and yell at me and blow up. Ultimately I think he's just stressed out. In our almost year and a half of dating, he's NEVER been this way towards me before. I talked to some of his friends and they said they've noticed somethings wrong with him too. I talked to his dad and he said he'd try to figure out what's going on. For awhile now it has been like this, last weekend was the first time in so long that he was his happy usual self, he even came to see me and I haven't seen him in over a month. Today its back to being cold again. I've told him that I'm always here for him, that I love and care about him, etc. I've told him how I've felt and how I've been feeling, this morning I told him again and he said "well I don't know what to tell you about that". And then changed the subject saying he had to go. He always tells me he loves me and to be safe though. I just feel alone and he's probably feeling the same way. I don't think he honestly knows what's going on with himself either but he has to know something right? I just want to see him happy and healthy. I want to help him but idk if he wants any help and I'm just hurting waiting. Do you think he wants to end things? What else can I do to help him? What can I do to have peace of mind?