Old Landlord trying to keep my deposit!

Lanise • MUA Make Up Artist💄

Hey ladies i need your help! I recently moved out of my old apartment and I’m currently suing my landlord for compel repair meaning he didn’t repair the stuff that he was ordered by the city to fix while my rent is in escrow.

Fast forward I’m moved out now and i gave him a 30 day notice via pdf document sent as an attachment via email that included my address, unit number, date and my new address where he can mail my deposit…. Here’s the thing….. i accidentally put the wrong date in the notice. He emailed my back saying that i put the wrong date and i responded telling him the date i would be gone. He emailed me back asking me to send him a correct notice with the correct date. I did not!

I did not because i felt like i was actually being generous giving him a fancy professional 30 day notice when i was told i could really just give him a damn sticky note with my name and date I’ll be gone. So i felt as though my response emailing telling him the correct date was good enough instead of fixing the typed paper.

(Keep in mind) Now i live in Ohio sand ohios law is if you don’t get your deposit in exactly 30 days after you’ve moved then you legally can file a small claims suit to double what your deposit was but that you can sue for anymore that $6,000.

In my original 30 day notice that had the incorrect date on it also included my new address. So i now as of two days ago get a package from him in the mail which I’m assuming is my deposit but it’s actually a letter saying that because i didn’t give him a proper 30 day notice that i forfeited my deposit. The letter says that my lease expired but i was actually in my second year there because my lease automatically renewed if i didn’t give a 30 day notice. So ladies please help me out. Can he do this? He saying my notice wasn’t good enough because of the incorrect date enough though i followed up with a email telling him the date i would be gone but my notice was good enough for him to use my new address to send me this letter because if he didn’t send it to me exactly 30 days after he knows i could sue again. I mean this is a man who’s entire building flooded the day before thanksgiving because we had no heat for days in the month of November and when they finally turned my buildings heat on it was so much pressure that the pipes burst and it started raining from my bedroom ceiling ruining ally my furniture in my bedroom the he completely ignored my progressive my insurance company so he can tell them about the damage. Like i was literally paying renters insurance for months so Incase something happened i would be covered but because he would ignore them every time they reached out they started to think i was trying to commit fraud to get money. I had to convince them i wasn’t by hiring a city inspector to come look at the damages and report to them and that took months. He never reached out to me or any of my neighbors when the disaster happened or even after. He never fixed shit to the point where the city is not prosecuting him because the inspector gave him from January to March to fix the damages and make repairs and it was April when she came back to inspect and he had only fixed one thing that she was was don’t in a mediocre way. But ladies please tell him my follow up email of me just telling him the date via email instead of on the paper is okay. Below i have attached pics my ( my original 30 day notice, our discussion via email, ignore the “here you go” i changed my mine at that point” as well as the letter he sent me saying i can’t get my deposit back and a copy of my lease saying it automatically renews unless i give a 30 day notice.

Tbh i feel like because I’m suing him he’s retaliating against me and trying to get off on a technicality because of the wrong dates but if he wants to do a technicality then i could say how did my lease expire if i never gave a correct 30 day notice like he’s claiming? If that’s the case then i should still be paying rent but even if that then i should be paying to escrow instead of him still!🤷🏾‍♀️ what do you all think? Is my follow up telling him the date still considered a notice??