Fun Math challenge!!

Savannah • I am 21yrs old and a rape and sa survivor. I am currently a junior in college to become a wildlife biologist!

Okay so I’m doing this because I saw it and was able to answer it in my head within a minute and be confident with my answer but apparently not everyone is doing so well and there’s been several arguments about it. So here’s the math riddle challenge:

A man steals $100 from a store register. He then purchases $70 in goods at that same store using the stolen $100. He receives $30 back. How much money did the store lose?

I’ve seen answers from $30, $70, $100, $130, $150, $170, and even $200. Only one of these is right. Can you guess it? I’ll post the answer and an explanation later on! But for now comment your chosen answer and explain why you think so.

Answer:

So the right answer is $100.

Here’s why: he originally stole $100 making the store have a $100 loss. He then used the stolen money to pay for his $70 goods from the store giving back $70 of that already stole $100 to pay for the goods. Then he still got to keep $30 (the remainder of the stolen $100. So this would leave the store with a $30 loss, however you can’t forget that the store is also losing $70 in goods because he didn’t really pay for them. That makes for a total of a $100 loss!

Here’s an equation

0-100(stolen money)=-100

-100+70(cash used to pay for goods)=-30

-30-70(goods)=-100

You can also look this up on google to get better explanations if needed! Thanks for playing everyone 😊