My doctor suspects a tubal pregnancy. I have so many questions.

Hannah

Here’s a run down of what’s going on.

I got off of bc 8 months ago and my husband and I have been ttc since then. I went to my OB about a month ago because my periods have been irregular ever since coming off of bc. He didn’t run any tests but said it’s likely that I’m not producing enough Progesterone since my body was used to synthetic Progesterone for the 6 years I was on bc. He called it luteal phase defect. He told me to take the Progesterone for 10 days every 25 days so that I could start to regulate my periods and have 35 day long cycles. He recommended I have longer cycles because I usually ovulate late in my cycle like after day 25+ (according to positive OPKs) and he didn’t want me to induce a period before I even ovulated. So we were going to try this for a while and see how my periods were. I started the Progesterone the day of that appointment. About 7 days into taking the Progesterone I got a BFP (on 7/25)! Pure coincidence I think. I was so excited and anxious for my first appointment. I was 11dpo when I found out I was pregnant. I called my OB the next day and set up my first prenatal appointment for about 3 weeks later. I didn’t want to wait that long even though I knew I would have to. But I called my primary care doctor (who also does limited OB) and asked if I could confirm the pregnancy. They set up an appointment for the next day. So I go into his office the next day and I am now 13dpo. He did a urine pregnancy test and it came back negative. He said I was probably too early to detect it and he said I could have a quantitative Hcg if I wanted. I agreed. I had my blood taken immediately after that. He called me the next morning and said my Hcg was 29.9 and called it borderline. He recommended another quantitative Hcg 48-72 hours later. I had new lab drawn about 50 hours later. My second round of labs were drawn on a Friday so I didn’t hear anything until Monday morning. The nurse called and told me my levels were increasing and to pick an OB of my choice. I asked what the levels were at the nurse told me 34.1. But the nurse didn’t mention any concern. I then started to research and realized that my numbers should have doubled by now. I was trying to be optimistic and thought maybe my numbers would double more towards the 72 hour mark but I was now very uneasy. I decided I was going to wait until my first OB appointment on August 12th and try not to panic. But all night long all I could do was worry and I just felt so anxious and uneasy. I decided to go with my gut and go to the ER this morning. I would’ve gone straight to my OB but I called and he is out of his office this whole week. At the ER, they drew labs again and my Hcg only went up to 37.0 after it was 34.1 on Friday, 4 days ago. They also did an ultrasound (not a vaginal one). He said my uterus is enlarged but there was no sign of anything progressing. I questioned if this is possibly because I’m only estimated to be 4 weeks 5 days pregnant but he said no that either way he should be able to see something. They diagnosed incomplete miscarriage. They didn’t mention anything about ectopic but likely because I haven’t experienced pain at this point. They told me to follow up with my PCP and OB. I went straight from the ER to my PCP because I knew he would see me right away and again my OB is out of his office all week. My primary care doctor then told me he expected ectopic because my numbers are rising, not decreasing, but not doubling like they should be. He talked with another OB in town and they are recommending methotrexate infusion as well as D&C to “cover all bases” since we don’t know 100% where it implanted. He said it’s a good thing I went in because since it is so early, I shouldn’t have any damage to my Fallopian tube if it is ectopic and of course no issues with rupture and internal bleeding. We’ve cried some but mostly I feel numb. And I have so many questions. I’m going to of course talk with the OB doing the procedure tomorrow but I just wanted to see real life experiences. My primary doctor said we can probably TTC again after 2-3 cycles. Is there a chance this will happen again? Why did this even happen in the first place? Why is it not progressing like it should? Does it have something do to with me ovulating so far into my cycle? Are there underlying issues we need to address before we TTC again? Is it likely that I will have a successful pregnancy ever? And if so how soon? I have wanted to be a mama from since I can remember…I’m just praying this doesn’t affect our chances for later on. Thank you so much for any input. I know this is more common than I probably realize but it doesn’t make it less hard. Women are amazing.