Ugly backpack? Baby monitor? Yesterday's parenting debacles

My husband is currently on paternity leave. I'm a SAHM, so I'm used to doing everything with the kids. However, since being home, he's developed stronger opinions in areas he used to not care much about. I love him being involved, but I work really hard and it feels demeaning to all I do.

First, I took my daughter to pick out a backpack for preschool. She's 3.5. She picked out a unicorn backpack. It's covered in sequins and it's pretty wild looking. We bring it home, and my husband goes off. He says it's the ugliest thing he's ever seen. He says she's going to get bullied. He says I'm the parent and I need to help her make better decisions. He suggested that by letting her get this "tacky" backpack, I would also allow her to dye her hair purple or something. He didn't drop it. He berated me about it until I went to bed. I just felt like it was her backpack and she should have what she wanted. It gave her independence and confidence, I didn't see the harm.

Then, he suggests we get rid of the baby monitors in the two toddler's rooms. That's my 3.5 year old and my 18 month old. He says they don't need monitors in their rooms. I personally like to check on them. Sometimes (rarely) they wake up at night. Also, they're on a separate floor. I like the extra surveillance. He told me I "need to let some things go" and that I'm "ridiculous".

I disagree with the way he's been running the morning routine while on leave. I think he's done a poor job, but he now believes he is God's gift to dads or something.

Thoughts?