MIL - coming to stay with us

Hi All,

I am 7 weeks post Partum and my partners family lives overseas. I have never met them only via FaceTime. They do not speak much English and my Spanish is average.

My partner is arranging for his mother to come and stay with us for a few months. I am incredibly nervous about it, slightly uncomfortable and i am still struggling with post Partum and becoming a new mum. I have expressed this to my partner but he says that I am being selfish he hasn’t seen his mother in 5 years and to “do this for him”. He says she will be coming to help us.

I am worried about being judged, I am worried about them taking my baby (especially when I want to spend so much time with him) I am worried about not having the same level of privacy in my own house, I am worried about having to “host” and “put on a good face”. I am worried about the language barrier as my partner will be working during the day. It will be his mother and I and the baby in the house during the day.

I feel stuck because if I say it’s fine, that’s lying to myself because I am so uncomfortable and anxious. If I say no then I feel like I’m letting down my partner and his family.

Any advice on what to do here? Am I over thinking it?