Boyfriend not emotionally supportive

I'm 21 and I'm from Kingston, Jamaica. I've been with my boyfriend since I was 16. He's generally a great guy, but sometimes he doesn't give me the emotional support that I need. 
​Today I found out that I didn't get a job that I was really hoping to get. I had a great interview, I delivered a presentation to a panel and I had to wait an entire month to hear that I didn't get the position, but they liked me so much that they want me to interview for another vacancy. I didn't get that position either. I've just finished college and transitioning into the working world is hard and it depresses me that I haven't found a job yet. 
​I told him that I didn't get it and he didn't say much of anything. He had a bad day too and I supported him throughout it but he still hasn't really addressed my sadness, even when I hint at it. I know I should come outright and say "hey, I'm sad" but I'm tired of having to do that. I even said "we both had sucky days" and he said "mine was ten times worse" as if it's a competition or as if my bad day doesn't count. And even if he didn't have a bad day, he still wouldn't have really addressed my sadness. 
​I guess I'm really just venting here. I don't really know what to do. I've been trying for years to allow him to see that when I'm sad I need him. Now he's gone to bed and I'm up, crying and wondering what's my next professional step.