Am I sensitive for a family rude comment?

My son is almost 4. He goes to speech therapy. Yesterday I had my step dad call my husband just to catch up once in a while. My son takes the phone from my husband and starts talking to my step dad excited to tell him all about the trip we recently did. My son speech isn’t perfect but I think he’s improved a lot on his speech. Sometimes he isn’t clear but it’s okay. He’s only 3 1/2 and I’ve heard a lot of people tell us not to worry about it and what they experienced with their own children and how today they are older they make big speeches etc… My step dad stayed quite whenever he couldn’t understand my son. It was dead silence. So my husband took the phone because my step dad wasn’t saying much. My step dad tells my husband flat out first thing on the phone (his speech is bad). My husband is very blunt and said it sounds very rude and condescending. I feel bothered because it’s uncalled for and especially when my son was super excited to talk to him and explain about his recent adventures. I think if it were the other way around and I said something about his son he would flip out. I think it’s messed up for anyone to say anything negative about anyone’s kids. If it isn’t supportive or positive why even say it?