Toddler Memory

My daughter is 2.5y (3 in January) and I’m wondering how concerned I need to be about some behaviors I’m noticing.

She remembers details of things that shock me, like last week we were going to a playground that we haven’t been to in months, and on the way there she says “Mommy went wrong way last time, playground other way.” Because the last time we went I took a wrong turn. Or when I was taking her to school one day she said “Mommy phone fall on road” at the exact spot where my phone fell out of my pocket weeks before.

But then she can’t seem to remember anything that we did on a normal day. At dinner tonight her dad said, “Mom said you went to the store today. Did you get to help with the shopping?” And she had been SO excited to help me scan groceries and push the mini shopping trolleys they have for kids, but she just looked blankly at my husband and said “No I no go store.” And then he said “Did you go anywhere else today?” And she said “I go bakery, buy bread” and we did not do that today. After the store we went to the playground.

She’ll ask me the same question a million times. “what kind is this dinner mom?” And I’ll tell her what we’re having for dinner, she’ll look at what I’m cooking, and tell me which things she likes and doesn’t. Then she’ll go play for a few minutes and come back and do the same thing. Or she’ll ask “Where’s dad?” And I say “At work, he’ll be home for dinner.” And then a few minutes later she asks again “Where’s dad?” And I usually try to get her to say it. “We just talked about this. Dads at the…” and she’ll just look at me blankly.

Is this normal?