Folate and folic acid are two forms of vitamin B9, which is essential for pregnant women and their developing babies. While they may seem like the same thing, some key differences between them can impact your prenatal health.
What is folate?
Folate is the natural form of vitamin B9 found in leafy green vegetables, beans, and nuts. It is the form that our bodies can use most easily.
What is folic acid?
Folic acid is a synthetic form of vitamin B9 that is added to many foods, including cereals, breads, and pastas. It is also found in most prenatal vitamins. While folic acid helps prevent birth defects, it needs to be converted into folate by the body. This conversion process can be slow and inefficient, and some people have genetic variations that make it even more difficult.
Why is folate better for pregnancy?
There are several reasons why folate is a better choice for pregnancy than folic acid:
- It is more bioavailable. Folate is more readily absorbed and used by the body than folic acid. This is especially important for pregnant women, who need a higher intake of vitamin B9.
- It is safer for women with MTHFR mutations. MTHFR is a gene that is involved in the conversion of folic acid to folate. Some people have mutations in this gene that make it difficult for them to convert folic acid efficiently. These women may be at risk of birth defects if they take folic acid supplements. Folate, on the other hand, does not need to be converted, so it is a safe choice for women with MTHFR mutations.
How can Ritual Prenatal Vitamins help?
Ritual Prenatal Vitamin is a comprehensive prenatal vitamin that contains folate, as well as other essential nutrients for pregnancy. It is made with high-quality ingredients and is gentle on the stomach.
Ritual Prenatal Vitamin can help you:
- Reduce your risk of birth defects
- Support your baby’s healthy growth and development
- Improve your energy levels
- Maintain a healthy pregnancy
Ritual Prenatal Vitamin is a great choice for pregnant women who are looking for a safe and effective way to get the folate they need.
In addition to the benefits listed above, Ritual Prenatal Vitamin also contains other important nutrients for pregnancy, such as iron, choline, and vitamin D. These nutrients are essential for the development of your baby’s brain, bones, and nervous system.
Ritual Prenatal Vitamin is also made with gentle ingredients that are easy on the stomach. This is important for pregnant women who may be experiencing nausea or morning sickness.
If you are looking for a prenatal vitamin that can help you have a healthy and happy pregnancy, Ritual Prenatal Vitamin is a great option.
Disclaimer: Glow is not a medical professional and this article is not intended to be medical advice. Please consult with your doctor before taking any supplements, including Ritual Prenatal Vitamin.