Advice please sisters. Babies and being married x

Am

Finally I got some good news on Monday. In 2 months I can finally begin to TTC!!

I'm 38 this year but have spent the last 9 years seriously ill. After spending nearly a year weaning off my medication the end is in sight in 2 months!!..... though I could potentially be quite ill and in severe pain it's worth it. I also have a 13 year old from a previous relationship. If my partner and I were younger we wouldn't consider this but sadly age is catching up too fast.

My question is this, my OH wants to TTC also but it bothers me that we are not married. He's not bothered at all but I worry about his religious beliefs more than him! Lol. I feel awkward asking him to be married beforehand. I'm happy for just a Nikah and not full legal wedding as a Nikah is not a legal marriage in the UK. I'm fully aware the act without marriage is also shirk which also bothers me. I know he is serious about us being in a long term relationship but a wedding is just way too expensive at the moment.

I hope you ladies can help me. I wanted an Islamic point of view tbh. Although I am not Muslim it just doesn't feel right to TTC without ticking the boxes. Am I right? I worry about the effect on him also at the mosque. He's the only white guy so sticks out a bit anyway without any other issues. What do you think?

Thanks in advance xx